Friday, November 2, 2007

Art of Living

I'd been looking forward to this course, which was conducted within the framework of research, and was open to anyone who had contracted breast cancer within the last five years. Art of Living appears to be an international organization - launched by one Sri Sri Ravi Shenkar - with the usual claims of reducing stress, increasing awareness, and promoting better health, energy, personal and global peace. A number of courses on its effect on cancer patients was concurrently underway in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. (See http://www.artofliving.org/)

The course I attended consisted of 16 women, the trainer, Dafna, and two additional women whose presence was not totally clear - I think they were there to help us perform the exercises or tend to someone in case of distress. The women were of all ages, some shockingly young, from different walks of life. Our common denominator was that we had all suffered breast cancer, ranging from the minimally treated for early stage cancer (one woman's lump had been only 0.5 cm., less than half the size of mine) to those who'd gone through the hell of chemotherapy. One young woman revealed she'd had a recurrence.

Following the initial meeting, I was struck by the impact of that seemingly innocuous statement - we'd all had breast cancer. My diagnosis and ensuing treatment had been so very dramatic and I have been totally focused on my feelings, my treatment, my health care practitioners. As I have moved through the process to recovery, I have immersed myself in learning about the disease and its remedies, exchanging stories with women who shared the process with me, and riding the emotional roller coaster of trauma, fear, panic, despair and acceptance. It had been, it still is, a very personal, intense and all-encompassing experience.

The 16 women assembled in the room with the Indian ambiance and yoga mats, could have been anyone you see in street, the mall, driving to work - and yet, each and every one of us has lived through the same drama. It's almost surreal to contemplate that we all experienced the same gamut of emotions; the anxiety punctuated with intermittent hope waiting for results, the horror, fear, panic, despair and tears on receiving the devastating diagnosis, the bewilderment of submitting our bodies to the various machines, the resilience needed to confront the fear.

The course was exhausting. We filled out forms, learned to breathe in different rhythms (we learned to recognise each rhythm by its Sanskrit name), we looked into each other's eyes, we informed each other when we arrived on the planet and how long we intend to stay here, sang a song to an alien god, shared our feelings, and thankfully lay down on the mats to sleep as soon as we could complete the requisite breathing exercise. We drank a lot of water. Strangely, the subject of cancer was almost a stranger in the room, rarely becoming a topic of our interchanges.

We did this every evening from 7.00 to 10.00 from Sunday until Thursday - I got home every night after 11.00 - and again on Friday morning and the following Sunday evening. Despite two major sources of tension in my life at this time, I felt quite relaxed during the whole period I was attending the course but I'm not sure how much was due to the exercises or to tiredness from the sheer relentlessness of the schedule. I have failed to keep promises I made to myself to continue the breathing exercises at home or at work, but there is an open invitation to attend a session every Saturday and, for the next five weeks at least, on Friday morning.

I asked Dafna what happens physiologically when we breathe in different rhythms. Surely there is a purpose in taking long, drawn breaths as compared to short, panty ones. She insists it cleans the system, but cannot say how or why. Whenever I ask questions such as these, a common response is Why do I want to know. Seems to me a more relevant question would be, why would I not want to know.

2 comments:

Fuzzy Pilot said...

Hi Patricia,
Do you know Ariel Warner. She did a study on Breast cancer and the Sudarshan Kriya Yoga. I saw a presentation and the results/benefits with BC was amazing.
I'm trying to get hold of her presentation.
If you do get hold of it/her, please email me at fuzzy.shah@gmail.com
Love to all,
Fuzzy

Anonymous said...

I got this site from my pal who told me about this web site
and now this time I am browsing this web page and reading very informative articles or reviews
at this time.