Sunday, July 22, 2007

Radiation Treatment Begins

The atmosphere was different today - more pleasant, kinder. The secretary showed me how to pass a card under a sensor to announce to the radiation technicians that I'd arrived. While I waited for them to call me, Alison, the radiation nurse I'd met a few weeks ago, passed by, chatted for a bit with me and Gabi, then went to see how long it would be before I was called.

The same two technicians greeted me with broad smiles and explained exactly what they were going to do and how long it would take. Again I lay on the table, arms raised, and again I experienced the illusion of heavy machinery moving towards me when in fact, I moved toward it, suspended once again above the floor. I was zapped from one direction and then zapped from the other. Strangely, the angle of the circular platter that was presumably the zapping agent, seemed to point at my right breast, rather than the left. Once I'd been lowered and could move again, I asked why it appeared that the wrong breast was in the line of fire. The technician said that the instrument was precisely aligned in order to minimize contact with my lung. That took me aback a little - I knew that they try to avoid the heart, but I didn't realize that my lung was going to be, even minimally, affected.

The whole exercise took about 10 minutes and was much less onerous that the two previous sessions. As my appointments are in the afternoon, we were able to park in the employees car park for free and within half an hour of arriving, left the hospital.

I have my first appointment with a psychologist, scheduled for July 31. Yay!

No comments: